American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Tawny or grayish with streaks or spots of a darker color.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Brinded; variegated with streaks of different colors.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Having dark streaks or spots on a gray or tawny ground; brinded.
- adj. having a grey or brown streak or a pattern or a patchy coloring; used especially of the patterned fur of cats
- An alteration of brinded, probably by association with speckled, grizzled etc. (Wiktionary)
- Alteration of Middle English brended, probably from brende, past participle of brennen, to burn, from Old Norse brenna; see gwher- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Within the last two days they had also observed that the gnoo was not of the same sort as the one which they had seen so long, but a variety which Swinton told them was called the brindled gnoo; it was, however, in every other respect the same animal, as to its motions and peculiarities.”
“In colour it was a kind of brindled red, and the hair on its back grew against the lie of the rest of its coat.”
“In the shape of their bodies and tails, in their general ground colour, and in the "brindled" or tiger-like stripes that could be perceived upon their cheeks, neck, and shoulders.”
“It is of a bluish colour -- hence the name, and "brindled," or striped along the sides.”
“Steve is approached by a man who wants to buy Mike to fight against a big brindled pit bull.”
“The dog Eli showed her was an ugly thing with wiry brindled hair and a squint.”
“When it finally did, she found herself gazing into the gentle eyes of an enormous brindled beast sitting in front of a crackling fire on a crude stone hearth.”
“But I've no news to send you now;Only I've lost my brindled cow,And that has greatly sunk my dairy.”
“He was a massive brindled Highland named Rupert, with sleepy eyes and horns as thick as small trees at the base.”
“He pushed me closer, and when I did not respond, he grasped my wrist and planted my hand firmly against the brindled surface.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘brindled’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
List of words from phrontistery.info
Words of interest from the book Moby Dick.
A list contrived for the sole purpose of storing words I like to include in my writing; words that inspire or carry power for me.
originally started as an attempt to collect words I found visually and auditorially beautiful, as well as psychically evocative, this has become nothing more than a grab bag of word curiosities, a ...
Words and phrases from Jonathan Stroud's book, The Golem's Eye.
An ode to apples. I am much indebted to 'Wild Apples' which, though probably not likely to change your life and improve your productivity at the sausage factory, will enthrall you with half an hou...
Words that I do not know or unsure for toefl
Looking for tweets for brindled.