from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Tawny or grayish with streaks or spots of a darker color.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of a brownish, tawny or gray colour, with streaks or spots; streaky, spotted
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having dark streaks or spots on a gray or tawny ground; brinded.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Brinded; variegated with streaks of different colors.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having a grey or brown streak or a pattern or a patchy coloring; used especially of the patterned fur of cats
Alteration of Middle English brended, probably from brende, past participle of brennen, to burn, from Old Norse brenna; see gwher- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
An alteration of brinded, probably by association with speckled, grizzled etc. (Wiktionary)