from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of a breed of cattle with long horns, formerly bred in great numbers in the southwest United States.
- n. A variety of Cheddar cheese molded into a long cylinder.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A breed of beef cattle, having long horns, bred in Texas and other parts of southwest United States.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A long-horned animal, as a cow, goat, or beetle. See long-horned.
- n. The Texas longhorn.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A tineid moth of the family Adelidæ, as Adela viridella, having very long antennæ.
- n. A dipterous insect of the suborder Nemocera, such as tipularians or crane-flies.
- n. A beetle of the group Longicornia; a longicorn.
- n. An English breed of cattle with long, drooping horns. They are large and rather clumsily built, but are good beef cattle and fair milkers. In the United States the name is also applied to the long-horned Texas cattle, now almost entirely replaced by breeds with shorter horns.
- n. An old inhabitant, shrewd and knowing.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. long-horned beef cattle formerly common in southwestern United States
long + horn (Wiktionary)