from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See mountain lion.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A wild animal of the family Felidae, especially cougar, puma or lynx.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The cougar. Applied also, in some parts of the United States, to the lynx.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The cat of the mountain; the European wildcat.
- n. In heraldry, this animal when used as a bearing.
- n. In the United States and Canada: A wildcat; a lynx; any species of the genus Lynx, which contains several large wildcats with short tails, penciled ears, and reddish or reddish-gray coloration, much variegated with lighter and darker markings, as the bay lynx, Lynx rufus, or the Canada lynx, L. canadensis. See cut under Lynx. The cougar, puma, or mountain lion, Felis concolor. See cougar.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large American feline resembling a lion
- n. short-tailed wildcats with usually tufted ears; valued for their fur
Short for catamountain.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Shortened from catamountain, from cat o' mountain, cat of the mountain. (Wiktionary)