American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Covering an entire surface: wallpaper with an all-over pattern; an allover tan.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The trade-name of a gilt button washed or plated on both the upper and under sides, as distinguished from a top, which is plated or washed on the upper side only.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adv. [Colloq.] over the whole extent; thoroughly; wholly.
- adj. covering the entire surface.
- adv. Wholly over; at an end.
- adv. over the entire area
- adv. to or in any or all places
- adj. having come or been brought to a conclusion
- adj. covering the entire surface
- From all- + over. (Wiktionary)
“As soon as we reached open air, Parker gave an all-over body shudder.”
“Are you at least clad in an all-over protective body helmet?”
“In the videos below, Gaga talks about her obsession with music, likening it to being addicted to alcohol or food, in an all-over hounds-tooth outfit -- and we do mean all-over, even the star's glasses are covered in the pattern.”
“Your pajamas are brown with an all-over pattern of moose and bear silhouettes, probably men pajamas, but she is a little male, with the exception of some pretty bodacious boobs.”
“I asked Gavin Brown about whether or not GBE would sue if an artist took Pruitt's panda repeat and used it as an all-over pattern for a t-shirt.”
“Baked in a heart-shaped pan for the holiday, the recipe for a simple vanilla cake that is studded all-over with fresh raspberries can easily be adapted into a standard round cake pan so that you can enjoy it any day of the year.”
“Kate went the simplest route, with a structured black topper with a swooping brim; Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, went for all-over feathers; and Sophie, the Countess of Wessex, caught our attention in a spiky silver creation that reminded us of a fairytale dragon.”
“At his "Blow Up" exhibition at the Musée d'Art Moderne in Paris four years ago, he revisited 11 all-over paintings from 1952 by blowing them up to four times their original size.”
“The all-over Spandex was an audacious look, even for someone with as much sartorial courage as Mariah girl gave birth to twins just this year!”
“A group of rural markets, painted on paper, and related lithographs, made in the 1880s and '90s, are notably vigorous, with their all-over expanses of densely packed figures.”
Looking for tweets for all-over.