from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Conforming to the current style; stylish.
- adj. Associated with or frequented by persons of fashion.
- n. A stylish person.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Characteristic of or influenced by a current popular trend or style.
- adj. Relating to fashion.
- n. A fashionable person; a fop
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Conforming to the fashion or established mode; according with the prevailing form or style.
- adj. Established or favored by custom or use; current; prevailing at a particular time.
- adj. Observant of the fashion or customary mode; dressing or behaving according to the prevailing fashion.
- adj. Genteel; well-bred.
- n. A person who conforms to the fashions; -- used chiefly in the plural.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Capable of being shaped or fashioned.
- Conforming to established fashion, custom, or prevailing practice: as, a fashionable dress or hat; fashionable opinions.
- Observant of the fashion or customary mode; dressing or behaving according to the prevailing fashion; genteel; polished: as, a fashionable man; fashionable society.
- Of, pertaining to, or characteristic of people of fashion: as, fashionable waste.
- Patronized, resorted to, or occupied by people of fashion: as, a fashionable tailor or hatter; a fashionable watering-place or neighborhood.
- n. A person of fashion: chiefly used in the plural: as, this establishment is patronized by the fashionables.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having elegance or taste or refinement in manners or dress
- adj. patronized by
- adj. being or in accordance with current social fashions
Sorry, no etymologies found.