from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Imposingly fashionable or elegant; grand. See Synonyms at fashionable.
- adj. Ostentatious; pretentious.
- n. Smartness in style or bearing; elegance.
- n. Swagger.
- intransitive v. To act ostentatiously or pretentiously; swagger.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Fashionably elegant.
- n. A fashionably elegant person.
- n. Ostentation.
- v. To swagger, to show off.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Thin; slender; pliant.
- n. See swang.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. elegance by virtue of being fashionable
- v. display proudly; act ostentatiously or pretentiously
- adj. imposingly fashionable and elegant
Perhaps akin to Middle High German swanken, to swing.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Perhaps from swanky, or perhaps from an Old English root, related to the Scots swank and the Middle High German swanken, modern German schwanken ("to sway"). (Wiktionary)