American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of a size or splendor suggesting great expense; lavish: "He likes big meals, so I cook sumptuous ones” ( Anaïs Nin).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Costly; expensive; hence, splendid; magnificent: as, a sumptuous house or table; sumptuous apparel.
- Synonyms Gorgeous, superb, rich, lordly, princely.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Involving large outlay or expense; costly; expensive; hence, luxurious; splendid; magnificient.
- adj. rich and superior in quality
- From French somptueux, Latin sumptuosus, from sumptus, "expense", from sumere, "to take". (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old French sumptueux, from Latin sūmptuōsus, from sūmptus, expense; see sumptuary. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“They live in sumptuous quarters, with beautiful flowers in large vases, and have a butler, Alfred.”
“Not only English society, but Indian princes and princesses, American millionaires, and Continental aristocrats attended this ball attired in sumptuous costumes worth thousands upon thousands of pounds.”
“Nick Gevers said it best: "(the novel) tells in sumptuous claustrophobic detail just how alien -- and alienated -- a human society might become, portraying a mighty far-future city state driven by absolute standards of meritocracy turning against itself in hysteria and bloodshed”
“On a superficial note, I loved all the beautiful tracking shots of paintings in sumptuous widescreen.”
“He said, “What shall we call your sumptuous creation?””
“Then he made peace between them and clad them all in sumptuous robes of honour and hanselled them with precious jewels of land and sea.”
“Then he bade bring forth money and apparel and clad them in sumptuous robes of honour and showered largesse upon them, wherefore they all loved him and obeyed him.”
“Then she robed her in sumptuous robes and set apart for her a place in the”
“By the gate stood two benches of marble, spread with the finest carpets, and on one of them sat a man of handsome aspect and reverend, clad in sumptuous clothing and attended by five Mamelukes like moons.”
“So he went thither and saw the Shaykh, a man of austere aspect and robed in sumptuous raiment with four journeymen under his hand.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sumptuous’.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Please contribute lots of panegyrical words—preferably such that are of universal use.
Words I have come across that I don't know the meaning of!
cool mint antiseptic
Words as I learn them.
Looking for tweets for sumptuous.