from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of high price or value; expensive: costly jewelry.
- adj. Entailing loss or sacrifice: a costly war.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of high cost; expensive.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of great cost; expensive; dear.
- adj. Gorgeous; sumptuous.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of great price; acquired, done, or practised at much cost, as of money, time, trouble, etc.; expensive; rich; occasioning great expense or expenditure: as, a costly habit; costly furniture; costly vices.
- Lavish; extravagant.
- Synonyms Precious, etc. See valuable.
- In a costly manner; expensively; richly; gorgeously.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. entailing great loss or sacrifice
- adj. having a high price
Composition: cost + -ly (Wiktionary)