from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The office or term of office of a pontiff.
- intransitive v. To express opinions or judgments in a dogmatic way.
- intransitive v. To administer the office of a pontiff.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state or term of office of a pontiff or pontifex.
- v. To preside as a bishop, especially at mass.
- v. To act like a pontiff; to express one’s position or opinions dogmatically and pompously as if they were absolutely correct.
- v. To speak in a patronizing, supercilious or pompous manner, especially at length.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state or dignity of a high priest; specifically, the office of the pope.
- n. The term of office of a pontiff.
- intransitive v. To perform the duty of a pontiff.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To act officially as pontiff or bishop; especially, to say pontifical mass.
- n. The office or dignity of a pontiff, high priest, or pope.
- n. The time during which a pontifical office is held by any given incumbent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. talk in a dogmatic and pompous manner
- v. administer a pontifical office
- n. the government of the Roman Catholic Church
"Today as the conclave announces its decision, the offering of prayers for this new pontificate is the most appropriate response from other Christian leaders," the Rev. John H. Thomas, UCC general minister and president, said in a written statement to United Church News.
The excess space they give you to iterate and re-iterate, describe, and have characters reflect and pontificate is nothing less than sheer luxury. on 08 Jul 2008 at 12: 33 pm Therese Walsh
One of the fascinating things about Pope Benedict's pontificate is how he has consistently and continually appealed to reason and to man's ability to think, know, and understand.
In short, Mr. Outside has been succeeded by Mr. Inside; and the story of Ratzinger's emergence as the Church's leader reveals the ways in which his pontificate is likely to affect the Church as a whole.
The problem with the blogosphere and and you lot that sit back and pontificate is that a keyboard and mouse have made you an expert.
Philadelphia Cardinal Justin Rigali said, This pontificate is totally new.
He saw that the chief priest was unlikely to recover, calculated the odds, and decided the pontificate was a much better bet than either.
And I really do think the characteristic of his pontificate will be a clarity and depth at articulating the inner meaning of the faith as an articulation of the truth of the love that's revealed in Jesus Christ.
One of the most remarkable successes of his pontificate was the restoration of the Pontifical States, secured at the Congress of
The central idea of his pontificate was the liberation of Europe from
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.