from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The office, function, or term of a president.
- n. The office of president of a republic.
- n. The office of the President of the United States.
- n. Mormon Church A governing body on a local level consisting of three men.
- n. Mormon Church The chief administrative body of the church.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The office or role of president.
- n. The bureaucratic organization and governmental initiatives devolving directly from the president.
- n. The time during which one is president; a president's term of office.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The function or condition of one who presides; superintendence; control and care.
- n. The office of president.
- n. The term during which a president holds his office.
- n. One of the three great divisions of British India, the Bengal, Madras, and Bombay Presidencies, each of which had a council of which its governor was president.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Superintendence and direction; controlling and directing influence, as of a president.
- n. The office of president: as, the presidency of a college or a railroad corporation; specifically [capitalized], the office of President of the United States.
- n. The term during which a president holds office: as, the presidency of Lincoln, of Thiers, etc.
- n. In British India, a chief administrative division.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the tenure of a president
- n. the office and function of president
Sorry, no etymologies found.