from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See episcopate.
- n. A system of church government in which bishops are the chief clerics.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Government of the church by bishops.
- n. Bishops collectively; episcopate.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Government of the church by bishops; church government by three distinct orders of ministers -- bishops, priests, and deacons -- of whom the bishops have an authority superior and of a different kind.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Government of the church by bishops; that form of church government in which there are three distinct orders of ministers—bishops, priests or presbyters, and deacons.
- n. The state of being a bishop; episcopal rank or office.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the collective body of bishops
From episcopate.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Late Latin episcopātus. (Wiktionary)