from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The office, term, or jurisdiction of an abbot.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The dignity, estate, or jurisdiction of an abbot.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The office of an abbot; an abbot's dignity, rights, privileges, and jurisdiction.
- n. An abbatial establishment; an abbey with all that pertains to it.
- n. Also called abbotcy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the jurisdiction or office of an abbot
Middle English abbatie, from Late Latin abbātia, from abbās, abbāt-, abbot; see abbot.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English abbatie, from Late Latin abbatia, from abbas, abbatis ("abbot"). See abbey. (Wiktionary)