from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Equality in distribution, as of weight, relationship, or emotional forces; equilibrium.
- n. A counterpoise; a counterbalance.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A state of balance; equilibrium.
- n. A counterbalance.
- v. To act or make to act as an equipoise.
- v. To cause to be or stay in equipoise.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Equality of weight or force; hence, equilibrium; a state in which the two ends or sides of a thing are balanced, and hence equal; state of being equally balanced; -- said of moral, political, or social interests or forces.
- n. Counterpoise.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An equal distribution of weight; equality of weight or force; just balance; a state in which the two ends or sides of a thing are balanced or kept in equilibrium: as, hold the scales in equipoise.
- n. A balancing weight or force; a counterpoise.
- To bring into a state of equipoise or balance; hold in equipoise.
- To counterbalance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. equality of distribution
From equi- + poise. (Wiktionary)