from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The territory, rule, or rank of a patriarch.
- n. See patriarchy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The term of office of a Christian patriarch.
- n. The office or ecclesial jurisdiction of such a patriarch.
- n. The office-space occupied by a patriarch and his staff.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The office, dignity, or jurisdiction of a patriarch.
- n. The residence of an ecclesiastic patriarch.
- n. A patriarchal form of government or society. See Patriarchal, a., 3.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The office, dignity, or status of a patriarch; also, the period of office of a patriarch.
- n. The residence of a patriarch.
- n. The community or province under the jurisdiction of a patriarch.
- n. A patriarchy or patriarchal community.
- n. The state of social organization, in which the child is a member of the social division to which its father belongs.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a form of social organization in which a male is the family head and title is traced through the male line
- n. the jurisdiction of a patriarch
From Ancient Greek πατήρ (patēr) "father" + -archy, "rule". (Wiktionary)