from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a patriarch.
- adj. Of or relating to a patriarchy: a patriarchal social system.
- adj. Ruled by a patriarch: a patriarchal see.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Relating to a system run by males, rather than females.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to a patriarch or to patriarchs; possessed by, or subject to, patriarchs
- adj. Characteristic of a patriarch; venerable.
- adj. Having an organization of society and government in which the head of the family exercises authority over all its generations.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to a patriarch: as, patriarchal power or jurisdiction.
- Subject to a patriarch: as, a patriarchal church.
- Pertaining to or of the nature of a patriarchy.
- Resembling or characteristic of a patriarch; venerable.
- Also patriarchic.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to or characteristic of a man who is older or higher in rank
- adj. characteristic of a form of social organization in which the male is the family head and title is traced through the male line
patriarch + -al (Wiktionary)