from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or belonging to the era before recorded history.
- adj. Of or relating to a language before it is first recorded in writing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of relating to the epoch before written record.
- adj. Nonmodern.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to a period before written history begins
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Existing in or relating to time antecedent to the beginning of recorded history: as, prehistoric races; the prehistoric period of a country.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. belonging to or existing in times before recorded history
- adj. no longer fashionable
- adj. of or relating to times before written history
From French préhistorique. (Wiktionary)