American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or belonging to the era before recorded history.
- adj. Of or relating to a language before it is first recorded in writing.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Existing in or relating to time antecedent to the beginning of recorded history: as, prehistoric races; the prehistoric period of a country.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to a period before written history begins
- adj. belonging to or existing in times before recorded history
- adj. no longer fashionable
- adj. of or relating to times before written history
- From French préhistorique. (Wiktionary)
“It is not impossible that they may have existed into the period which we call prehistoric, and that monsters far larger than any which we have yet discovered may have lingered until the time when man began to increase upon the earth, to spread over its surface, and to carve upon wood and stone representations of the most striking objects around him.”
“I believe that early hominids were telling that joke in prehistoric times.”
“Have you considered actually setting a novel back in prehistoric times?”
“LONDON – A wealthy young teenager buried near Britain's mysterious Stonehenge monument came from the Mediterranean hundreds of miles away, scientists said Wednesday, proof of the site's importance as a travel destination in prehistoric times.”
“Suppose that in prehistoric times, men were polygamous.”
“Differing access to foods in prehistoric times, he says, led to gendered patterns of eating today.”
“But Auel says she has not stopped thinking about her heroine Ayla and her adventures in prehistoric times.”
“The Flintstones and the Rubbles -- virtually "The Honeymooners" in prehistoric cartoon clothing -- also laid down the comedic and artistic bedrock for such future hits as "The Simpsons" and "Family Guy.”
“Don't know you know in prehistoric times, horses were much like cats, they always land on their feet -- he'll be fine.”
“If I set a time limit, I'll spend some of it writing, but then I'll spend some of it examining the ceiling, and dusting under the keyboard, and doing "research" on the web (which usually starts on topic and devolves into my reading up on coming-of-age ceremonies in prehistoric Polynesia .... not productive).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘prehistoric’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words for shovelbums!
Words ending in ic, tic or nic.
Non-specific labels used to describe different time periods.
Looking for tweets for prehistoric.