from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to heat: the caloric effect of sunlight.
- adj. Of or relating to calories: the caloric content of foods.
- n. A hypothetically indestructible, uncreatable, highly elastic, self-repellent, all-pervading fluid formerly thought responsible for the production, possession, and transfer of heat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. relating to calories
- adj. relating to or producing heat or other energy
- n. the hypothetical medium of heat
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The principle of heat, or the agent to which the phenomena of heat and combustion were formerly ascribed; -- not now used in scientific nomenclature, but sometimes used as a general term for heat.
- adj. Of or pertaining to caloric.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to heat or the principle of heat.
- n. The name given to a supposed subtle imponderable fluid to which the sensation and phenomena of heat were formerly attributed; hence, heat.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to calories in food
- adj. relating to or associated with heat
French calorique, from Latin calor, heat; see kelə-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)