from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that forms; a maker or creator: a former of ideas.
- n. A member of a school form: a fifth former.
- adj. Occurring earlier in time.
- adj. Of, relating to, or taking place in the past.
- adj. Coming before in place or order; foregoing.
- adj. Being the first of two mentioned.
- adj. Having been in the past: a former ambassador.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. previous
- adj. first of aforementioned two items. Used with the, often without a noun.
- n. Someone who forms something.
- n. An object used to form something.
- n. Someone in, or of, a certain form (class).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who forms; a maker; a creator.
- n. A shape around which an article is to be shaped, molded, woven wrapped, pasted, or otherwise constructed.
- n. A templet, pattern, or gauge by which an article is shaped.
- n. A cutting die.
- adj. Preceding in order of time; antecedent; previous; prior; earlier; hence, ancient; long past.
- adj. Near the beginning; preceeding.
- adj. Earlier, as between two things mentioned together; first mentioned.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Being before in place; fore; first; foremost.
- Being or happening before in time; preceding another or something else in order of time; prior.
- Past; especially, long past; ancient.
- Preceding or going before in a series; antecedent in order of thought, of action, etc.: specifically applied to the antecedent one of two things, or of two parts or divisions of anything.
- n. A predecessor.
- n. One who forms, fashions, creates, or makes; a creator.
- n. Specifically, a pattern in or upon which anything is shaped, as a piece of wood used for shaping cartridges and gun-wads; any mechanism contributing to give shape to an article in process of manufacture.
- n. One of a number of appliances and machines used in bending and shaping sheet-metal into tubes, cylinders, boxes, and other forms.
- n. The templet used for the cutting of gear-teeth; the guide used for giving desired motion to the cutter when forming or cutting irregularly shaped pieces in a profiling-machine.
- n. In electricity, a frame upon which the coils of certain types of armatures and transformers are wound.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the first of two or the first mentioned of two
- adj. (used especially of persons) of the immediate past
- adj. belonging to the distant past
- adj. referring to the first of two things or persons mentioned (or the earlier one or ones of several)
- adj. belonging to some prior time
Middle English, comparative of forme, first, from Old English forma; see per1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English former, comparative of forme ("first"), from Old English forma ("first"). (Wiktionary)