from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An informant, especially one who informs against others, often for compensation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who informs someone else about something.
- n. A person who tells authorities about improper or illegal activity.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who informs, animates, or inspires.
- n. One who informs, or imparts knowledge or news.
- n. One who informs a magistrate of violations of law; one who informs against another for violation of some law or penal statute.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who informs or animates.
- n. One who imparts intelligence or gives information; an informant.
- n. In law, one who communicates to a magistrate a knowledge of a violation of law; a person who lays an information against or prosecutes in the courts one who offends against the law or any penal statute.
- n. Hence One who makes a business of informing against others; a mischief-maker.
- n. Synonyms Informant, Informer. See informant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one who reveals confidential information in return for money
Sorry, no etymologies found.