from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A window set vertically into a small gable projecting from a sloping roof.
- n. The gable holding such a window.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a room-like, roofed projection from a sloping roof
- n. dormer-window
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A window pierced in a roof, and so set as to be vertical while the roof slopes away from it. Also, the gablet, or houselike structure, in which it is contained.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sleeping-room; a dormitory.
- n. A dormer-window.
- n. Same as dormant
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a gabled extension built out from a sloping roof to accommodate a vertical window
Obsolete French dormeor, sleeping room, from dormir, to sleep; see dormant.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)