from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that transforms.
- n. A device used to transfer electric energy from one circuit to another, especially a pair of multiply wound, inductively coupled wire coils that effect such a transfer with a change in voltage, current, phase, or other electric characteristic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Something that transforms, changing its own or another thing's shape.
- n. A static device that transfers electric energy from one circuit to another by magnetic coupling. Their main use is to transfer energy between different voltage levels, which allows choosing most appropriate voltage for power generation, transmission and distribution separately.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, transforms. Specif. (Elec.), an apparatus for producing from a given electrical current another current of different voltage.
- n. a toy consisting of a figure or representation of an object, constructed of interlocking parts in such a way that a series of turning or twisting motions of the parts can transform the object from one type of object to a different type of object, such as from an animal to an automobile.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A transformer designed for use in multiple with other transformers on the same circuit.
- n. A name sometimes given to the dynamostatic machine of Elihu Thomson.
- n. One who or that which transforms.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an electrical device by which alternating current of one voltage is changed to another voltage
That's all the details there are so far, but the idea of seeing a Blackbird as a transformer is amazing.
I hate it when a new transformer is "revealed" and it just ends up being a picture of a car.
The robot battles in T2 were awful because we had no idea who the robots were, so the scenes were just 'oh no the transformer is fighting the other transformer.'
Movie bombshell Megan Fox gave new meaning to the word transformer during a recent day out in L.A., when the sexy star, who is rarely seen without her signature dark eye makeup and slash of red lipstick, dared to go bare while picking up beauty supplies.
My favorite transformer is still bumblebee, but I also like, Iron hide, Star scream, and so on, But where the hell was ratchet?
Does anyone know what typical voltage levels are in Morelia and if a transformer is desirable to adjust it? jennifer rose
For what they're calling transformer politics, tonight a dramatic new claim from Barack Obama about the future of race relations if he becomes president.
The transformer is a stationary electrical machine and one of the most important components of electrical engineering.
I recall the transformer was replaced not long before I got it however.
The Power rating of a transformer is the amount of power it can deliver, not the ammount it consumes, it's as simple as that.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.