American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An electronic device that restricts current flow chiefly to one direction.
- n. An electron tube having a cathode and an anode.
- n. A two-terminal semiconductor device used chiefly as a rectifier.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of two ways; in elect. teleg., same as duplex.
- n. In botany, the rudimentary or transition body in vascular plants which develops into the prothallium.
- n. An electronic device that allows current to flow in one direction only; a valve.
- n. A two-terminal semiconductor device, having a p-n junction, used chiefly as a rectifier.
- n. a thermionic tube having two electrodes; used as a rectifier
- n. a semiconductor that consists of a p-n junction
- Learned formation, coined by William Eccles in 1919, after Greek δίοδος. (Wiktionary)
“The evil geniuses* at Wicked Lasers have weaponized a laser for the consumer market by simply (?) rejiggering an unreasonably-powerful blue laser diode from a home theater projector and placing it in a lightsaber casing.”
“Otellini compared the Obama administration to a "diode" -- an electronic device that conducts electric current in only one direction.”
“The author of the above hypothesis wrote his degree paper on silicon carbide light-emitting diode, that is why the ending of the forth series is the most simple- it is a modern light-emitting diode.”
“A diode is a junction of two types of semiconductor, which only allow electrons to flow in one direction.”
“It looks like something out of "Star Wars," but it's not sci-fi, it's high tech and it's called a diode laser.”
“Don't misunderstand my opinion here ... a diode is a nice feature, but just un-necessary if you are running such a minimal system and you want to maximize what little you have available.”
“This is potentially useful, but the diode is a more important (and difficult) component to replicate.”
“Kozicki said his team was wrestling with how find a way to build an electrical element, called a diode, into the memory cell.”
“Kozicki said his team was wrestling with how to find a way to build an electrical element, called a diode, into the memory cell.”
“The result can be seen to be that a diode is a one way valve for electrons.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘diode’.
All the scientific words found in the official EU nomenclature. For the screening I used Vocabgrabber of the Visual Thesaurus.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
defining the words that define invention
Looking for tweets for diode.