from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that announces, especially an electrical signaling device used in hotels or offices to indicate the sources of calls on a switchboard.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Anything that announces something
- n. A signalling device that shows which of several electrical circuits is active, especially such a device in a telephone switchboard
- n. A buzzer in a UK signal box, that sounds when a train activates a treadle positioned on the track. Provides a warning or announcement of a nearby train.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who announces. Specifically: An officer in the church of Constantinople, whose business it was to inform the people of the festivals to be celebrated.
- n. An indicator (as in a hotel) which designates the room where attendance is wanted.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which announces; an announcer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an indicator that announces which electrical circuit has been active (as on a telephone switchboard)