from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person who is present at an event without participating in it.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a person who, although present at some event, does not take part in it; an observer or spectator
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who stands near; a spectator; one who has no concern with the business transacting.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who stands near; a spectator; a chance looker-on; hence, one who has no concern with the business being transacted.
- n. One of the highest order of penitents in the discipline of the early church. See consistentes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a nonparticipant spectator
by- + stander (Wiktionary)