American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One who travels for pleasure.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who makes a tour; one who makes a journey for pleasure, stopping at a number of places for the purpose of seeing the sights, scenery, etc.
- n. Someone who travels for pleasure rather than for business.
- n. derogatory One who visits a place or attends a social event out of curiosity, wanting to watch without commitment or involvement.
- n. sports, informal a member of the visiting team in a match.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who makes a tour, or performs a journey, especially for pleasure.
- n. someone who travels for pleasure
- From tour + -ist. (Wiktionary)
“If the tourist is arriving late at night, he/she may find that these casas de cambio are closed.”
“The ship's operator, Crociere Costa, has accused Schettino of causing the wreck by making the unapproved detour, and the captain has acknowledged carrying out what he called a "tourist navigation" that brought the ship closer to Giglio.”
“A couple were even interested in the call girl industry but they used the euphemism "tourist industry" so that they would not be thought of as wannabe whores.”
“The remedy for that kind of tourist is that we should have a closer connection between those who are authorized to speak for their particular representative bodies.”
“So Norwich had better prepare for a boost in tourist numbers who having seen Google Street, will be under the false impression Norwich is some sort of tropical paradise.”
“We drove down the main tourist strip about 9: 00 Saturday night and it was a ghost town.”
“When Jean Claude Wouters used to see people hawking Van Gogh postcards, kitchen aprons and other kitsch in tourist traps outside the Louvres, he was almost as thrilled as Jesus was running into the moneylenders outside the temple.”
“A tourist is still a tourist no matter who they are.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘tourist’.
The words we might know but learners won't
Very basic words for ESL students.
No one ever says, "I want to be a somnambulist when I grow up." But don't let that get in the way of organizing your Wordie lists.
Third position in adj 'young' noun band names formula
Looking for tweets for tourist.