from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A native or inhabitant of a mountainous area.
- n. One who climbs mountains for sport.
- intransitive v. To climb mountains for sport.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. someone who climbs mountains for sport or pleasure
- n. someone who lives in a mountainous area
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An inhabitant of a mountain; one who lives among mountains.
- n. A rude, fierce person.
- n. A person who climbs mountains for sport.
- intransitive v. To live or act as a mountaineer; to climb mountains.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An inhabitant of a mountainous district; hence, a person regarded as uncouth or barbarous.
- n. A climber of mountains: as, he has distinguished himself as a mountaineer.
- To assume or practise the habits of a mountaineer; climb mountains: seldom used except in the present participle or the participial adjective.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who climbs mountains
- v. climb mountains for pleasure as a sport
mountain + -eer (Wiktionary)