from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person regarded as gullible or provincial: "New Yorkers had a horrid way of making people feel like hicks” ( Louis Auchincloss).
- adj. Provincial; unsophisticated: a hick town.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An awkward, naive, clumsy and/or rude country person.
- v. to hiccup
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. rural. Opposite of
- adj. characteristic of rural people, especially those not knowledgeable about matters outside their locality.
- n. A person who is not very intelligent or interested in culture; a hayseed.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To hop; spring.
- See hic.
- n. A countryman: used like hodge.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who is not very intelligent or interested in culture
- adj. awkwardly simple and provincial
Thank God this nightmarish hick is leaving public office and hopefully out of our lives for good.
Thank God this nightmarish hick is leaving public office and hopefully she is going to be out of our lives for good.
Maybe I'm just a damn hick from the deep south, but that's not my idea of fun.
Another teabagging hick is caught C&Ping lame arse talking points from Anchor Baby Malkin.
Oops …. .another teabagging hick is caught in a lie.
This is very unprofessional - well I'll call it 'hick town the fix is in' stuff.
By the time the bogeyman came for Moustapha Akkad, he had bigger fish to fry: mass slaughter not of stock types in hick burgs but of powerful and well-connected elites in Amman's Western hotels.
A senator that was born and raised in Montana, with Montana values, and who speaks the English language like a Montanan, NOT some inbred, tobacco-spittle, corporate lickspittle hick from the backwoods of Missouri!
I'm just waiting for that elevator door to slide open with a sudden rattle and clang and the lusciously lascivious Near Future to whirl around and arch an eyebrow at this lil ole hick from the sticks.
That's not me - that's some tobacco-chewing, gun-lovin 'hick flying down the trench.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.