American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A person regarded as gullible or provincial: "New Yorkers had a horrid way of making people feel like hicks” ( Louis Auchincloss).
- adj. Provincial; unsophisticated: a hick town.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. pejorative An awkward, naive, clumsy and/or rude country person.
- v. to hiccup
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A person who is not very intelligent or interested in culture; a hayseed.
- adj. rural. Opposite of
- adj. characteristic of rural people, especially those not knowledgeable about matters outside their locality.
- n. a person who is not very intelligent or interested in culture
- adj. awkwardly simple and provincial
- Onomatopoeia. (Wiktionary)
- After Hick, a nickname for Richard, from Middle English Hikke. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Thank God this nightmarish hick is leaving public office and hopefully out of our lives for good.”
“Thank God this nightmarish hick is leaving public office and hopefully she is going to be out of our lives for good.”
“Maybe I'm just a damn hick from the deep south, but that's not my idea of fun.”
“Another teabagging hick is caught C&Ping lame arse talking points from Anchor Baby Malkin.”
“Oops …. .another teabagging hick is caught in a lie.”
“This is very unprofessional - well I'll call it 'hick town the fix is in' stuff.”
“By the time the bogeyman came for Moustapha Akkad, he had bigger fish to fry: mass slaughter not of stock types in hick burgs but of powerful and well-connected elites in Amman's Western hotels.”
“A senator that was born and raised in Montana, with Montana values, and who speaks the English language like a Montanan, NOT some inbred, tobacco-spittle, corporate lickspittle hick from the backwoods of Missouri!”
“I'm just waiting for that elevator door to slide open with a sudden rattle and clang and the lusciously lascivious Near Future to whirl around and arch an eyebrow at this lil ole hick from the sticks.”
“That's not me - that's some tobacco-chewing, gun-lovin 'hick flying down the trench.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hick’.
A fanfare for the Common Man. Words for rustics, yokels, and woolhats of all sorts.
Inspired by madmouth's Ugh! list.
Words to use in moments of high frustration that they hopefully won't understand.
Looking for tweets for hick.