from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A clumsy person.
- n. An inexperienced sailor; a landlubber.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a clumsy or lazy person
- n. an inexperienced or novice sailor; a landlubber
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A heavy, clumsy, or awkward fellow; a sturdy drone; a clown.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A heavy, clumsy fellow; a sturdy, awkward dolt: applied especially by sailors to any one of the crew who is deficient in seamanship.
- To sail in a lubberly or clumsy manner.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an awkward stupid person
- n. an inexperienced sailor; a sailor on the first voyage
Middle English lobur, lazy lout; akin to lob, lout; see lob.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)