from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An awkward, loutish person; an oaf.
- intransitive v. To stare or gape stupidly. See Synonyms at gaze.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a cuckoo
- n. a fool
- n. a simpleton, stupid or clumsy person.
- v. To stare or gape stupidly
- v. To stare conspicuously.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A cuckoo.
- n. A simpleton; a booby; a gawky.
- intransitive v. To act like a gawky.
- intransitive v. To stare with empty-minded fascination; to stare stupidly; to gape; -- usually used with at.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A cuckoo. [Scotch and North. Eng.] — 2. A stupid, awkward fellow; a fool; a simpleton; a booby. Also gawky.
- To act like a gawk; go about awkwardly; look like a fool.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an awkward stupid person
- v. look with amazement; look stupidly
3 - Leaves draw tourists by the droves to come up and gawk, which is never a fun thing because they drive really slowly on the back roads - always frustrating when you're in a hurry somewhere.
The human body is miraculous and beautiful, but I don't think I want to -- for want of a better word -- "gawk" at skinned, butchered, and posed corpses.
This blog post is actually a specific request to please never "gawk" at me from a distance.
We're talking mostly about conditions experienced by people who do not likely read this book or gawk at its pictures.
I gawk and converse with other folks on twitter doing the same.
Much like we watched Jon and Kate fall apart and continued to gawk, and the latest issues with Tiger Woods.
Almost as unbelievable is the show's nearly cartoonish Southern stereotyping: The town is called Bluebell, gators named Burt Reynolds run loose, and twangy town folk gawk at the new Yankee in their presence.
One technique is to skate a large figure eight around him, never stooping to gawk.
But in rejecting her, we are also rejecting ourselves and that is why we feel a little guilty when we laugh along with Zack Galifianakis or gawk at the pictures of her in magazines.
For the same reason we gawk at accidents on the highway and train wrecks on the tracks.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.