from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To seek information by asking a question: inquired about prices.
- intransitive v. To make an inquiry or investigation: inquire into the extent of the corruption.
- transitive v. To ask about.
- transitive v. To ask: "I am free to inquire what a work of art means to me” ( Bernard Berenson). See Synonyms at ask.
- inquire after To ask about the health or condition of.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To ask (about something).
- v. To make an inquiry or an investigation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To ask a question; to seek for truth or information by putting queries.
- intransitive v. To seek to learn anything by recourse to the proper means of knowledge; to make examination.
- transitive v. To ask about; to seek to know by asking; to make examination or inquiry respecting.
- transitive v. To call or name.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To search for; seek out; make investigation concerning.
- To ask about (a thing or person); seek knowledge of by asking.
- To call; name.
- To ask of; question.
- Synonyms Ask, Inquire, Question, etc. See ask.
- To seek for knowledge or information; make inquisition or investigation; use means for discovering or learning something.
- To ask for information; seek knowledge of something by asking a question or questions: as, I will inquire about it.
- n. Inquiry; search; investigation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. have a wish or desire to know something
- v. conduct an inquiry or investigation of
- v. inquire about
Middle English enquiren, from Old French enquerre, from Vulgar Latin *inquaerere, alteration of Latin inquīrere : in-, into; see in-2 + quaerere, to seek.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin inquīrō ("to seek for"). Displaced Middle English enqueren (from Old French enquerre, of the same source) and native Old English speir ("ask, inquire"). (Wiktionary)