from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having or marked by expectation: an expectant look; an expectant hush.
- adj. Pregnant: expectant mothers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. marked by expectation
- adj. pregnant
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Waiting in expectation; looking for.
- n. One who waits in expectation; one held in dependence by hope of receiving some good.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having expectation; expecting.
- Looking forward with confidence; assured that a certain future event will occur.
- In medicine, relating to or employed in the expectant method: as, an expectant medicine.
- n. One who expects; one who waits in expectation; one held in dependence by his belief or hope of receiving some good.
- n. In Scotland, a candidate for the ministry who has not yet received a license to preach.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. in an advanced stage of pregnancy
- adj. marked by eager anticipation
Sorry, no etymologies found.