from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Carrying developing young or eggs: a gravid uterus; a gravid female.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pregnant; now used chiefly of egg-laying animals, or metaphorically.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Being with child; heavy with young; pregnant; fruitful; ; -- of animals as well as people.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- . Burdened; laden; made heavy.
- Being with child; pregnant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. in an advanced stage of pregnancy
Latin gravidus, from gravis, heavy; see gwerə-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin gravidus ("laden, pregnant"), from gravis ("heavy"). (Wiktionary)