from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Marked by, feeling, or expressing reverence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. showing respect or reverence; respectful
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Disposed to revere; impressed with reverence; submissive; humble; respectful.
- adj. Expressing reverence, veneration, devotion, or submission.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Feeling or displaying reverence; impressed with veneration or deep respect; standing in awe with admiration, as before superior age, worth, capacity, power, or achievement.
- Proceeding from or characteristic of reverence; expressive of veneration or profound respect and awe: as, reverent conduct; a reverent attitude toward religious questions.
- Strong; undiluted: noting liquors.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. feeling or showing profound respect or veneration
- adj. showing great reverence for god
Tadhg extended his thick, rough hands in front of him, his expression reverent.
Boyd gazed at the material a moment, his expression reverent.
A fact-based film that succeeds in being both artful and reverent is a rare thing.
But then, also, it was with a certain reverent curiousness that she approached the cabin, while the Hush on her cheek showed a yet riper mellowness.
He speaks about it in reverent tones, his voice betraying a childlike excitement.
By faith Noah, being warned by God concerning events as yet unseen, in reverent fear constructed an ark for the saving of his household.
America was spoken of in reverent tones, a place where anyone had the chance to be their own person and make their fortune, a place where streets were paved in gold.
This one was unexpected because I started the year as an agnostic, and by the end of the year I became what a friend of mine calls a reverent agnostic, which I love.
He rose from the table and went to her, and, as if in reverent acknowledgment that this moment was his own, the others drew aside for him.
Just then the angels were so near that Abbot Hans felt the feathery touch of their great wings, and he bowed down to earth in reverent greeting.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.