from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Lacking or exhibiting a lack of reverence; disrespectful.
- adj. Critical of what is generally accepted or respected; satirical: irreverent humor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Lacking proper respect or seriousness; sarcastic.
- adj. Disrespectful, cynical, cavilling, querulous, or vulgar, where one's own feelings, or especially deference to the feelings of others, customarily command silence, discretion, and circumspection.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not reverent; showing a lack of reverence; expressive of a lack of veneration
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not reverent; manifesting or characterized by irreverence; deficient in veneration or respect: as, to be irreverent toward one's superiors or elders; an irreverent expression.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not revering god
- adj. showing lack of due respect or veneration
- adj. characterized by a lightly pert and exuberant quality
ir- + reverent (Wiktionary)