from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Impiously irreverent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Lacking piety or respect for the sacred. Resembling blasphemy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Speaking or writing blasphemy; uttering or exhibiting anything impiously irreverent; profane; ; containing blasphemy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Uttering, containing, or exhibiting blasphemy; impiously irreverent toward God or sacred things: as, “blasphemous publications,”
- Abusive; defamatory; railing.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. characterized by profanity or cursing
- adj. grossly irreverent toward what is held to be sacred
Middle English blasfemous, from Late Latin blasphēmus, from Greek blasphēmos, from blasphēmein, to blaspheme; see blaspheme.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)