from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Rudely contemptuous; showing contumely; insolent or disdainful.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Exhibiting contumely; rudely contemptuous; insolent; disdainful.
- adj. Shameful; disgraceful.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Indicating or expressive of contumely; haughtily offensive; contemptuous; insolent; rude and sarcastic: said of acts or things.
- Haughty and contemptuous; disposed to taunt or to insult; insolent; supercilious: said of persons.
- Reproachful; shameful; ignominious.
- Synonyms 1 and 2. See list under abusive.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. arrogantly insolent
From Latin contumēliōsus ("insulting; abusive"), from contumēlia ("affront, abuse, insult"). (Wiktionary)