from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Crudely or loudly assertive; pushy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Obtrusively pushy; self-assertive to a pretentious extreme.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Self-conceited; forward; pushing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Offensively self-assertive; liable to give or take offense; disposed to quarrel; domineering; forward; pushing.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. offensively self-assertive
Perhaps blend of bump and presumptuous.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Probably a play on the pattern of words like fractious. (Wiktionary)