from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Expressive of disdain; scornful and contemptuous. See Synonyms at proud.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Showing contempt or scorn; having a pronounced lack of concern for others viewed as unworthy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Full of disdain; expressing disdain; scornful; contemptuous; haughty.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Full of or expressing disdain; contemptuous; scornful; haughty.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. expressing extreme contempt
- adj. having or showing arrogant superiority to and disdain of those one views as unworthy
How disdainful is that "certainly not mainly for art."
Beatty has become a real advocate for DVDs, which may be a harbinger of the future (as Beatty seemingly always is) as other directors such as Steven Spielberg still remain disdainful of the medium.
"The shoppers will be happier if they have a place to sit and watch the fountain," he says, in disdainful deadpan imitation of a hypothetical planner's argument.
Many friends have wished me to pass over that letter in disdainful silence, as refuting itself; and perhaps, if I were happy enough to be obscure and unknown, that would be my
Politifact's response at the time could best be characterized as disdainful indifference.
In some aspects of his life perhaps, thought Nicolette grimly as she recalled the disdainful way he had looked at her and the scornful things he had said.
Blair himself projected the kind of disdainful self-confidence, verging on impatience, of a man who knows he's a winner.
She is "disdainful" and "condescending," but US Ambassador to the UN John Bolton delivers more manly "stinging rebukes."
I suspect that those who believe strongly in a right are inclined to see non-believers as "disdainful", whether they are or not.
William Flesch considers the "disdainful" aspect of de
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.