from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Feeling or showing haughty disdain. See Synonyms at proud.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Arrogantly superior; showing contemptuous indifference; haughty.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Lofty with pride; haughty; dictatorial; overbearing; arrogant
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Lofty with pride; haughtily contemptuous; overbearing.
- Manifesting haughtiness, or proceeding from it; overbearing; arrogant: as, a supercilious air; supercilious behavior.
- Synonyms Disdainful, contemptuous, overweening, lordly, consequential. See arrogance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having or showing arrogant superiority to and disdain of those one views as unworthy
- adj. expressive of contempt
Latin superciliōsus, from supercilium, eyebrow, pride : super-, super- + cilium, lower eyelid; see kel-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin superciliōsus ("haughty"), from supercilium ("eyebrow, arrogance"). (Wiktionary)