from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Informal Affectedly genteel; pretentious.
- interj. Used to express disdain for something viewed as pretentious.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Disdainful description of pretension or haughtiness.
- interj. Expression of disdain for pretension or haughtiness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Languidly genteel in speech or manner; foppishly affected.
- n. A languidly genteel person; an affected fop or ‘swell.’
- To act in a languidly genteel manner; pose as a ‘swell.’
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. affectedly genteel
Imitative of affected speech.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)