from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Overly self-assertive or self-confident.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Abbreviation of cockatoo; used when pretending to talk to such a bird, as in "hello cocky".
- n. A farmer, particularly a small-time farmer.
- n. A sheep farmer.
- adj. Overly confident, arrogant and boastful.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pert.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pert; self-confident; conceited.
- n. A shortened form of cockatoo, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. overly self-confident or self-assertive
From cockatoo (“type of bird”) + -y (“diminutive suffix”). In the sense “farmer”, abbreviated from cockatoo farmer; the designation developed in 19th century Australia following the Robertson Land Acts, which increased the number of small farms. (Wiktionary)
From cocksure + -y (“having quality of”). (Wiktionary)