American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A Japanese dish of sliced meat, bean curd, and vegetables seasoned and fried together.
- n. A Japanese dish of thinly-sliced beef and tofu with dashi, mirin and soy sauce cooked quickly at the table.
- n. thin beef strips (or chicken or pork) cooked briefly at the table with onions and greens and soy sauce
- From Japanese 鋤焼き (すきやき, sukiyaki) or 好き焼き (すきやき, sukiyaki) (Wiktionary)
- Japanese : suki, strip (from suku, to be thin) + yaku, to roast. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Ben opted for his usual dish, the sukiyaki, which is made up of vegetables, thin slices of beef, tofu, and glassy noodles all tossed in a wide black pan.”
“The best cuts are usually sliced very thin, in 1.5–2 mm sheets, and simmered in broth for a few seconds in the one-pot dishes called sukiyaki and shabu shabu.”
“An advertisement published on July 30, 1932, the opening day of the Los Angeles Olympics, described the "beautifully decorated" Kawafuku as "Featuring Japanese and Chinese Foods: 'sukiyaki' our Specialty.”
“In the meanwhile, have a picture of sukiyaki, which is nice even if you don’t have a proper square pan and table gas stove.”
“This was probably the first kind of sukiyaki to be sold in Thailand.”
“It introduced its soup stock—appropriate for Japanese dishes like sukiyaki, sliced beefand vegetables—on the day Mr. Woodford was fired.”
“Glad you and the group had a nice introduction to sukiyaki.”
“Or maybe organizing a sukiyaki dinner at Kappo, or introducing friends to the addictive pleasures of Chicky Pub or the cold Korean noodle soup called mul naengmyun, or comparing the two major varieties of Chinese-Korean noodles, a divide that has strained lesser marriages.”
“It might seem perverse for a traveler to Tokyo to skip sukiyaki in favor of Neapolitan pizza, but just wait until he tastes that crust.”
“Much love, a big fan. aids alan cummings is a joker i wouldn't believe this for a second. and what's wrong with sukiyaki western django, it's a decent film.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sukiyaki’.
Recipes from my 1947 (original copyright, 1939) "The United States Regional Cook Book" which is a cookbook divided into recipes from 11 "regions" of the US, plus an "auxiliary" section. I'm highlig...
abalone chowder, venison soup, chiopino, halibut pot roast, sand dabs meunière, apples stuffed wi..., california tongue, baked steak, baked ham, califo..., sukiyaki, braised breast of..., pigeon pie and 27 more...
Looking for tweets for sukiyaki.