from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Rude and disrespectful; impudent.
- adj. Lively and spirited; jaunty.
- adj. Stylish; chic: a sassy little hat.
- n. A western African tree (Erythrophleum suaveolens) of the pea family, having bark that yields a poison and wood that is used for construction. Also called sasswood, sassy bark.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. impudent
- adj. bold and spirited; cheeky
- adj. saucy
- adj. vigorous
- adj. lively
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. improperly forward or bold
Alteration of saucy.
Of West African origin; akin to Twi `ɔ-sésé, plane tree, Ewe séséwú, timber tree, and Ga (Niger-Congo language of Ghana) sèsè, kind of tree.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
sass + -y (Wiktionary)