from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Providing a gain; profitable: gainful employment.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Contrary.
- adj. Disposed to taking advantage of.
- adj. Troublesome; fractious; hard to handle.
- adj. Providing gain; profitable.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Profitable; advantageous; lucrative.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Producing profit or advantage; advancing interest or happiness; profitable; advantageous; lucrative.
- Contrary; disposed to get the advantage; fractious.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. yielding a fair profit
From gain (“against, contrary”) + -ful. (Wiktionary)
From gain (“profit, foredeal”) + -ful. (Wiktionary)