from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- preposition Behind in place or order.
- preposition Next to or lower than in order or importance.
- preposition In quest or pursuit of.
- preposition Concerning.
- preposition Subsequent in time to; at a later time than.
- preposition Subsequent to and because of or regardless of.
- preposition Following continually.
- preposition In the style of or in imitation of.
- preposition With the same or close to the same name as; in honor or commemoration of.
- preposition According to the nature or desires of; in conformity to.
- preposition Past the hour of.
- preposition Irish Used with a present participle to indicate action that has just been completed.
- adverb Behind; in the rear.
- adverb At a later or subsequent time; afterward.
- adjective Subsequent in time or place; later; following.
- adjective Located near the stern of a vessel or the rear or an aircraft or spacecraft.
- conjunction Following or subsequent to the time that.
- noun Afternoon.
- noun Chiefly British Dessert.
- idiom (after all) In spite of everything to the contrary; nevertheless.
- idiom (after all) Everything else having been considered; ultimately.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Later in time; subsequent; succeeding: as, an after period of life.
- Naut,: Further aft, or toward the stern of the ship: as, the after-sails; the after-hatch-way.
- Pertaining to the after-body of a ship: as, after-timbers.
- In mineralogy, derived from; having the form of: said of pseudomorphs, which retain only the form of the original mineral: as, malachite pseudomorph after cuprite; cassiterite pseudomorph after feldspar. See
- Behind; in the rear: as, to follow after.
- Later in time; afterward: as, it was about the space of three hours after.
- Behind in place: as, men placed in a line one after another.
- Later in time than; in succession to; at the close of: as, after supper.
- In pursuit of; in search of; with or in desire for.
- In imitation of, or in imitation of the style of: as, to make a thing after a model; after the French; after the antique; after Raphael.
- According to; in proportion to; in accordance with: as, “after their intrinsic value,” Bacon, War with Spain.
- According to the nature of; in agreement or unison with; in conformity to.
- Below in rank or excellence; next to: as, Milton is usually placed after Shakspere among English poets.
- Concerning: as, to inquire after a person.
- Subsequent to and in consequence of: as, after what has happened I can never return.
- Subsequent to the time that.
- Synonyms Behind, After. See
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Next; later in time; subsequent; succeeding.
- adjective (Naut.) Hinder; nearer the rear.
- adjective (Naut.) the part of a ship abaft the dead flat, or middle part.
- preposition Behind in place.
- preposition Below in rank; next to in order.
- preposition Later in time; subsequent. It often precedes a clause. Formerly
thatwas interposed between it and the clause.
- preposition Subsequent to and in consequence of.
- preposition Subsequent to and notwithstanding.
- preposition Moving toward from behind; following, in search of; in pursuit of.
- preposition Denoting the aim or object; concerning; in relation to
- preposition In imitation of; in conformity with; after the manner of
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word after.
In this episode, three sisters one of which is criminally insane create trouble after the victims body is shown to have been mutilated *after*
Fuckem. marz hey did yall see the last easter egg after the credits..after the one with stryker getting arrested..after showing him in the japanese bar..and after the one where deadpool grabs his own head..they showed the the final easter egg: the actual movie COMPLETED!
Did The Wolverine Workprint Leak Cost Fox $29 Million? | /Film
So, ASC, being a profit-motivated organization and not, in reality, violating any laws after all, military-grade hardware was added *after* the airframes arrived on Hera, continued to sell Fireflies to our friends at the FFSW on Hera right up until the plant was destroyed in the war.
Firefly Ship Works Ltd. » Blog Archive » All About The Cerberus
People often forget that a language area, even after fracturing into mutually incomprehensible or almost incomprehensible dialects, can still disseminate new features developed *after* the dissolution of the language.
The unanimous decision by the Massachusetts Board of Pharmacy comes two weeks after three women sued Wal-Mart in state court for failing to carry the so called ` ` morning after\'\ 'pill in its Wal-Mart and Sam\'s Club stores in the state.
OpEdNews - Quicklink: Wal-Mart Must Stock Contraception in Mass.
You see, Volso refused point-blank to give his porter the day off today, and the porter is adamant his master left the house shortly after dawn and did not come back until _after _the boy had been shot.
And so, since the menstrual flow ceases after about five days from its beginning, in about ten days _after_ its stopping, the ovum will have passed out of the womb, and hence that organ contains nothing that is impregnable.
Sane Sex Life and Sane Sex Living Some Things That All Sane People Ought to Know About Sex Nature and Sex Functioning; Its Place in the Economy of Life, Its Proper Training and Righteous Exercise
He would soon learn after looking things over that all our tracks were made _after_ those of the man, when we left the camp.
Thus: -- quīnque post diēbus quam Lūcā discesserat, ad Sardiniam vēnit _five days after he had departed from Luca he came to Sardinia_; postquam occupātae Syrācūsae erant, profectus est Carthāginem, _after
The monarch, ordinarily, dined at the Tower on the day after the creation of the Knights of the Bath; and devoted the greater part of the day, _after_ dinner, to this prolonged exhibition of himself to the people.
tbtabby commented on the word after
Means "anus" in German.
July 13, 2009