American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adv. From then until now or between then and now: They left town and haven't been here since.
- adv. Before now; ago: a name long since forgotten.
- adv. After some point in the past; at a subsequent time: My friend has since married and moved to California.
- prep. Continuously from: They have been friends since childhood.
- prep. Intermittently from: She's been skiing since childhood.
- conj. During the period subsequent to the time when: He hasn't been home since he graduated.
- conj. Continuously from the time when: They have been friends ever since they were in grade school.
- conj. Inasmuch as; because: Since you're not interested, I won't tell you about it.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- After that; from then till now; from a specified time in the past onward; continually afterward; in or during some part of a time between a specified past time and the present; in the interval that has followed a certain event or time; subsequently.
- Before now; ago: with an adverbial phrase specifying the amount of time separating the event or time in question from the present: as, many years since; not long since.
- Ever from the time of; throughout all the time following; continuously after and from; at some or any time during the period following; subsequently to.
- From the time when; in or during the time after.
- When: after verbs noting knowledge or recollection.
- As a sequel or consequence of the fact that; inasmuch as; because.
- Synonyms Because, Since, As, Inasmuch as, For. Because (originally by cause) is strong and the most direct. Since, starting from the idea of mere sequence in time, is naturally less emphatic as to causation: its clause more often precedes the main proposition. As is still weaker, and, like since, generally brings in the reason before the main proposition: as or since the mountain will not come to Mohammed, Mohammed must go to the mountain. Inasmuch as is the most formal and emphatic, being used only to mark the express reason or condition. For follows the main proposition, and generally introduces that which is really continuative of the main proposition and of equal or nearly equal importance, the idea of giving a reason being subordinate.
- adv. From a specified time in the past.
- prep. From (time).
- conj. from the time that
- conj. because
GNU Webster's 1913
- adv. From a definite past time until now.
- adv. In the time past, counting backward from the present; before this or now; ago.
- adv. obsolete When or that.
- prep. From the time of; in or during the time subsequent to; subsequently to; after; -- usually with a past event or time for the object.
- conj. Seeing that; because; considering; -- formerly followed by
- From Middle English syns, sinnes, contraction of earlier sithens, sithence, from sithen ("after", "since") ( + -s, adverbial genitive suffix), from Old English sīþþan, from the phrase sīþ þǣm ("after/since that (time)"), from sīþ ("since", "after") + þǣm dative singular of þæt. Cognate with Dutch sinds ("since"), German seit ("since"), Danish siden ("since"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English sinnes, contraction of sithenes : sithen, since (from Old English siththan : sīth, after + than variant of thām, dative of thæt, that; see that) + -es, adv. suff.; see -s3. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Towards the end of the eighteenth century, Kant could say (without much exaggeration) that logic had followed a single path since its inception, and that ˜since Aristotle it has not had to retrace a single step™.”
“I think Halcyon is smarter than you think Alex since they hired Bale even before Dark Knight came out…they had no idea it was going to be so successful turning their lead actor into a superstar…they more than likely chose him because of his acting skills rather than on name recognition..since Bale hasn't been a big name in Hollywood even with Batman Begins”
“Mr. Brayley, in his _Londiniana_, wrote about five years since that "if due care be taken when the old bridge is pulled down, the bones and ashes of its venerable architect may still be found;" -- and, true enough, _the bones of old Peter were found on removing the pier about a fortnight since_.”
“_O fortunate man, since you have found a Homer as the herald of your valor_; ut quī optimō jūre eam prōvinciam obtinuerit, _since he held that province by excellent right_.”
“And as it was our first appearance at church since -- well, _since_ -- perhaps there was just a little consciousness of our relations that made Bessie seem to retire absolutely within herself, and be no more a part of the silken crowd than was the grave, plain man who rose up in the pulpit.”
“And yet, since this strange, sweet, subduing influence did not, should not, conquer her, since it was to remain simply her own suffering, her mind was meeting Stephens in that thought of his, that they might still snatch moments of mute confession before the parting came.”
“And I should rejoice to cultivate generosity, since (see that _since_) affections gentler and more sympathetic are denied me.”
“III. ii.6 (78,4) [since, of two usuries] Sir Thomas Hammer corrected this with less pomp [than Warburton], then _since of two_ usurers”
“_The Development of Theology in Germany since Kant, and its Progress in Great Britain since_ 1825.”
“Truth is, I’ve known Javier since freshmen year, and I’ve had feelings for him ever since ”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘since’.
Words to be replaced by a paragraph mark if you are after terms and MWEs.
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
Words related to time
Very basic words for ESL students.
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Here's a lit of common expressions to make sure you show organization when elaborating on your ideas properly
Looking for tweets for since.