from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. At that time: I was still in school then. Come at noon; I'll be ready then.
- adv. Next in time, space, or order; immediately afterward: watched the late movie and then went to bed.
- adv. In addition; moreover; besides: It costs $20, and then there's the sales tax to pay.
- adv. Used after but to qualify or balance a preceding statement: The star was nervous, but then who isn't on the first night of a new play.
- adv. In that case; accordingly: If traffic is heavy, then allow extra time.
- adv. As a consequence; therefore: The case, then, is closed.
- n. That time or moment: The bus leaves at four; until then let's walk.
- adj. Being so at that time: the then chairman of the board.
- idiom then again From another standpoint; on the other hand: I need a vacation. Then again, so do my coworkers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. At that time.
- adv. Soon afterward.
- adv. Next in order; in addition.
- adv. In that case.
- adv. At the same time; on the other hand.
- adv. At the time that; when.
- adv. used to contradict an assertion.
- adj. being so at that time
- n. That time
- conj. Obsolete spelling of than.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. At that time (referring to a time specified, either past or future).
- adv. Soon afterward, or immediately; next; afterward.
- adv. At another time; later; again.
- conj. Than.
- conj. In that case; in consequence; as a consequence; therefore; for this reason.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- At that time: referring to a time specified, either past or future.
- Afterward; next in order; soon afterward or immediately.
- At another time: as, now and then, at one time and another.
- By the time when or that: then in this phrase having the force of a relative.
- In that case; in consequence; therefore; for this reason.
- Then is often used in offering a substitute for a word or statement rejected.
- Than. See than.
- Synonyms Wherefore, Accordingly, etc. See therefore.
- Then being; being at that time.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. that time; that moment
- adv. in that case or as a consequence
- adv. at that time
- adv. subsequently or soon afterward (often used as sentence connectors)
- adj. at a specific prior time
If McCain wins and then bombs, *then* Hillary becomes a formidable candidate again.
And then the whole blame game thing just cracks me up they are ridiculous..then they are gona take off a few days and meet again on Thurs…so they will all be vacationing in Marthas Vineyard while the country falls apart. mario de la ossa
I had literally sat down to my first interview, when patchy and intermittent phone calls started coming in, first from our base in London, then from HQ in Atlanta: a plane had crashed into the WTC….it may have been an accident…still checking…..then a second plane…..and suddenly it was all systems go.
But he was cheating on his wife with the secretary whom he then threatened when she tried to break it off and *then* he tried to cut a deal with the school board essentially offering to *not* drag people's reputations through the mud if they gave him a free pass.
Tell you what, Mac: when he learns to spell your last name correctly, perhaps _then_ we can contemplate placing the fate of the world in his hands, but not before then.
I was sort of walking past Cathay with my mind kind of blank apart for “argh parkmall =/= parklane” and then I looked at her because she looked kind of pretty and then I noticed she was looking at me, and then I realized she looked kind of familiar, and then
I used to get up at 4am do 2 hours of pilates, then go to work 60 hours a week..then record in the evenings..then ride a bike.
They need to build that party a little more, win some more local elections, get a supply of candidates and then run them for Congress, etc with experience and records to point to, and a broader support base, and *then* they will be credible on the national stage.
And then, and _then_, here's the best part, I got an email from Rahab/Christine!
Little things: packing, final bills, actually moving, then cleaning the place, then getting a job IMMEDIATELY so I can do it all over again.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.