from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having once been; former: the whilom editor in chief.
- adv. Archaic At a past time; formerly.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. While.
- adv. Once upon a time, formerly.
- adj. Former; sometime, late.
- conj. While.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. Formerly; once; of old; erewhile; at times.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- At times; by times.
- Once; formerly; once upon a time.
Middle English, at times, from Old English hwīlum, dative pl. of hwīl, time, while; see kweiə- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Old English hwīlum, dative plural of hwīl ‘while’. (Wiktionary)