from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Up to the present time; before this; previously.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. Prior to now, until now, up to the present time; from the origin to this point.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. Up to this time; hitherto; before; in time past.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Before this time; formerly; up to this time.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. used in negative statement to describe a situation that has existed up to this point or up to the present time
Middle English : here, here; see here + tofore, previously (from Old English tōforan : tō, to; see to + foran, before from fore; see fore).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English heretoforn, equivalent to here ("here") + toforn ("before"), from Old English toforan ("before"). More at here, tofore. (Wiktionary)