American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A Dutch colonist or descendant of a Dutch colonist in South Africa.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The name given to the Dutch colonists of South Africa, who are principally engaged in agriculture or cattle-breeding.
- n. A Dutch colonist in South Africa, or one of their (white) descendants, especially a farmer; an Afrikaner.
- n. A militant in the Boer war
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A colonist or farmer in South Africa of Dutch descent.
- n. a white native of Cape Province who is a descendant of Dutch settlers and who speaks Afrikaans
- From South African Dutch boer ("farmer"). (Wiktionary)
- Afrikaans, from Dutch, farmer, from Middle Dutch gheboer, peasant; see bheuə- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The word Boer is usually translated from Afrikaans as meaning white farmer but is sometimes used to refer to any white South African.”
“Boer is Afrikaans for a farmer, but is sometimes used as a disparaging term for any white in South Africa.”
“Boer is Afrikaans for a farmer, but also is a derogatory term for any white in South Africa.”
“(Boer is Afrikaans for "farmer," but colloquially is a disparaging term for any white South African.)”
“Boer is Afrikaans for a farmer, but is sometimes used as a disparaging term for any white person in South Africa.”
“There was to-day what we called a Boer Sunday, that is, a cessation of firing on both sides after a hard ten days of it; the day was wet and we were all washed out of our tents, some of which were blown clean down.”
“And, indeed, it was no secret that during most of 1993 the far right, loaded with guns and men experienced in warfare, was mobilising for what they called the Boer "freedom struggle" and others called racist terrorism.”
“The lyrics "Awudubele ibhulu" -- "shoot the boer" in Zulu -- refer to the Afrikaans word "Boer" which means farmer in the language derived from Dutch colonisers.”
“In no Southern State of North America would white men have followed a mulatto.] [Footnote 19: The word Boer means farmer or peasant (German _Bauer_).] [Footnote 20: A clear and spirited account of these events may be found in Mr.R. R.ssell's book, _Natal, the Land and its Story_, published in”
“If 'e'd come out on the veldt,' nd fight us our way, we'd lick 'im every time, but when it comes to fightin' in the kopjes, why, the Boer is a dandy, 'nd if the rest of Europe don't think so, only let 'em have a try at' im 'nd see.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Boer’.
Age of Metternich, Black Legend, Cult of the Supre..., The Civilizing Mi..., The Eastern Question, The Great Patriot..., Absolutism, Act of Supremacy, Active Citizen, Americanization, Anarchism, Annex and 302 more...
Looking for tweets for Boer.