from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Dutch colonist or descendant of a Dutch colonist in South Africa.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A Dutch colonist in South Africa, or one of their (white) descendants, especially a farmer; an Afrikaner.
- n. A militant in the Boer war
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A colonist or farmer in South Africa of Dutch descent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The name given to the Dutch colonists of South Africa, who are principally engaged in agriculture or cattle-breeding.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a white native of Cape Province who is a descendant of Dutch settlers and who speaks Afrikaans
Afrikaans, from Dutch, farmer, from Middle Dutch gheboer, peasant; see bheuə- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From South African Dutch boer ("farmer"). (Wiktionary)